Monday 13 July 2009

MAKING OF A ZOMBIE BABY PAGE!

Have to make this quick guys. My schedule's pretty damn hectic until the end of the month as I'm finishing the last episode and a half of this book of Defoe. May have to try and pull an all nighter (though to be honest, I think I'm too old for them now--plus I haven't got any cakes, energy drinks or chocolate to get me through it!).

Anyhoo....last weeks zombie baby episode and cover went down as well as I'd hoped--nobody seemed to get their knickers in a twist about the cover in particular, so it looks like we got away with it! BWA HA HAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! That was supposed to be an evil laugh...

Below is a brief walk through of the making of the first page of that episode. As usual, once I read through Pat Mills' script, I do a very rough layout. What you need to understand is that the layout is just for my own benefit--for 2000AD I don't need to get layouts approved, which is why they usually only make sense to me. I really enjoy this part of the process--it's actually very fun and relaxing working out the story and the compositions.
Next up, we have pencils. As I'm inking myself, I can leave them pretty loose...
Then finally, we have the inks. As you can see, that's where I have to really put the work in. I try to ink as much as I possibly can with a brush first, then go to battle with my fineliner pens!

Right, that's your lot people. Gotta get back to work!
L


4 comments:

Will Sliney said...

Nice one Leigh. Looks great

Leigh G said...

Wiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllll..........thanks matey!

Kev Levell said...

Very informative. Thanks for sharing your process.

Oh, and lovely atmospheric stuff by the way - really enjoying Defoe at the moment!

Leigh G said...

Cheers buddy, appreciate it. I'd feel better if I still didn't have loads to go before the end of the month!