Sunday 5 September 2010

DEFOE (GETS SNAPPY) COVER PROCESS!!!


Aaarrgh....having one of those days where nothing I draw is working and I'm rubbing holes in my art boards.

So, here I am, with a handy distraction: The making of this coming Wenesday's cover to 2000AD prog 1701! For those who picked up this week's prog 1700, you'll know that there's a scene in Defoe featuring a crocodile eating zombies in The Tower of London moat, and so here's the rough cover idea that was approved by Tharg with a pun-tastic tag line that I half-joked should be used on the final cover....
A quick manly reference photo that I loosely based it on...
My SECOND crack at the pencils....
Here's the inks. Knowing that I'd be colouring it, I thought ahead and decided not to ink in the area around the gun flash as I wanted to be able to select those lines cleanly when I played with it later in Photoshop. Likewise, I knew ahead I'd be "airbrushing" the black clothing of Defoe into the green of the water, so didn't bother with any background crosshatching.
Final colours. Pretty happy with it, especially with the light coming through the water. Though looking at it months later, I'm not too impressed with the drawing of the zombie in the croc's mouth. Considering how bloody many I've had to draw over the years, I should have done a better job of the fella. No Jaffa Cakes for me tonight....
Now THIS made my freakin' day! On the last page of prog 1700 I was stunned to see this full page advert featuring the new cover with my "DEFOE GETS SNAPPY" tag line! Do you get it?! "SNAPPY" because there's a CROCODILE and Defoe's a grumpy bastard....ahhh forget it ........."SNAPPY"!!!
(And a big thanks to editorial droid Matt Smith and designer bot Simon Parr!)
And here's a scan of the final cover out this Wednesday, with a far more sensible tag line (not as good as mine though *grumble grumble*).
That's your lot for now. Should have quite a few "making of" features coming up now that Defoe's back, so catch you ladies soon!
L

7 comments:

hoops said...

Cool cover, mate. It's great to have Defoe back, and i'm looking forward to more 'making of's too.

retromancy said...

I really do enjoy your DeFoe work, and your "works in progress" are great - thanks for sharing them.

Leigh G said...

That's very kind of you guys. Thanks very much! There's two more covers coming up over the next two months, but inbetween I'll probably do a couple of interior page "making of" features.

Anonymous said...

So glad Dafoe is back. One of my favorite series' is in the last few years. Massive congrats to Pats for a wicked script and to you for the incredible atmospheric artwork. I just picked up the trade so i can reread up on it for back story i may have forgotten.

I wanna send it to one of my more literate blogging buddies so he can review it for my blog, along with Zombo when that comes out. This friend in question has not read AD since the 80's and whom recently wrote on my blog...

"in a strange way i think johnny alpha taught me more about what it meant to be human being as a kid than my family ever did".

Like "WOW".

So hopefully he'll be popping into the newsagents on a new mission.

cheers Leigh.

Leigh G said...

That's really nice of you Bumcrack. I really appreciate the support dude.

Let's just hope your plan doesn't backfire, and his review ends ups saying " It sucks hairy balls!"

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad only the cover was in colour, your graphic shading style in black ink is legend!

Leigh G said...

That's very kind of you! yeah, I'd never want the Defoe interiors to be coloured. I've always liked "old school" 2000AD and I like to think that my black and white work reminds people of that.