Thursday 23 September 2010

MAKING OF A DEFOE PAGE!!!

I REALLY shouldn't be on here. I'm currently rushing to get the final episode of Defoe: A Murder of Angels finished in record time, but y'know what? I just love you all too damn much, it hurts, so here I am with another post.

This is the creation of a page from Episode 3, from script to printed page. First up, here's Pat Mill's script. Thankfully his scripts are never overly detailed and straight to the point, so they're a pleasure to read, especially when I'm on a tight deadline.
Here's my RIDICULOUSLY rough layout. Unlike working for the big American companies, we 2000AD droids don't need to have our layouts looked over by the editor, so they only need to make sense to myself luckily.
Here's my pencils. As I ink myself, I generally don't bother pencilling any background detail like bricks etc.... I'll spare you the sight of my reference photos this time, in the name of public decency....
Here's my inks. As you can see, there's a lot that's been added in the backgrounds. once again, I probably overdid it with the crosshatching, but I'm very pleased with how that second panel turned out. My god, I frikkin' LOVE drawing crocodiles, or alligators (whatever the hell it is)!
Finally, here's the published page, wonderfully lettered by Ellie De Ville (cool name!). As you'll notice, the dialogue's changed a bit, as generally Pat likes to do some rewrites once he's seen my final art.
That's it for now! Be sure to pick up this week's 2000AD prog 1703 with Episode 4 of Defoe, where one of the Brethren DIES!
And check back here next week where I'll do the making of my next cover!

L

8 comments:

Kev Levell said...

I love seeing process posts. This is great, especially helpful to see how rough your page layouts are and that you fill in a lot of detail in the inks... I think it keeps it really fresh.

Leigh G said...

Thanks Kev. Yeah, keeping the early stages as loose as possible stops the monotony of feeling like you're drawing the same image multiple times.

hoops said...

Dude, you know i love these making of thingys... another excellent selection too. When i saw the zombie croc i thought it was the coolest thing...well...since the coolest thing on the previous page.
Especially like seeing Pat's uncluttered script, must be great to have that much room to breathe

Leigh G said...

Cheers very much Rob! I'll be sure to do more of these over the coming weeks. Just gotta rush to get the final part done!
Take care,
L

Leigh G said...

Cheers very much Rob! I'll be sure to do more of these over the coming weeks. Just gotta rush to get the final part done!
Take care,
L

retromancy said...

Wow, you add so much at the inking stage - looks great.

Leigh G said...

Cheers Retromancy. Yeah, there's no point for me putting all the detail in the pencils. I'll be putting up the making of my next 2000AD cover tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the thoughts you have provided here. In addition, I believe there are several factors which really keep your automobile insurance premium straight down. visit web One is, to think about buying vehicles that are within the good set of car insurance corporations. Visit Website Cars that happen to be expensive tend to be more at risk of being snatched. Visit Your URL Aside from that insurance policies are also based on the value of your car, so the more pricey it is, then the higher your premium you have to pay. visite site